Sunday, August 23, 2009

Second Conversation With Myself

Me: "It was so cool... yesterday I found those vinyl training pants. Unbelievable! I thought they stopped making them forever."

I: "Yeah- and at two bucks a pop they were a steal! So exciting!"

Me: "But now we have to actually put them to use."

I: "Hey- our problems are not THAT bad."

Me: "The pants are way too small for us dufus! They're for Phoebe."

I: "Duh- I was being funny... loser."

Me: "What-ev. So anyhoo... we now are at a crossroads. To potty train or not to potty train."

I: "I say that she needs to start- the sooner the better!"

Me: "You're probably right. But do you think she's ready?"

I: "Phoebe will be fine. She tries to pull up her own pants and says "pee-pee" often enough."

Me: "She says "pee-pee" like every 10 minutes- and who know what she's REALLY saying."

I: "We should implement the every 30 minutes "schedule". Every 30 minutes we put her on her little potty. Completely do away with diapers during the day except when she's napping and bedtime."

Me: "I think she should still have diapers handy for outtings too."

I: "Wimp."

Me: "What? It's a reasonable suggestion."

I: "Where's your sense of adventure?!"

Me: "You stole it. Besides I don't want to deal with keeping a poopy training pant in the diaper bag. People are going to look at us like we... you know..."

I: "Farted? Messed our pants?"

Me: "Yeah."

I: "You're such a ninny!"

Me: ".... Whatever... soooooo anyway... maybe we should hold off on the potty training until after Stephen's born."

I: "You want to deal with THAT many diapers?"

Me: "But if we start now it'll just be something else to put Phoebe through. We're already going to be changing rooms and getting stuff set up for Stephen and after Stephen's here Phoebe's already going to be going through alot. Let's just let her adjust to everything first."

I: "She'll be two by the time everything is "normal" again. By then she'll be out of the novelty phase of going potty. In any case- we shouldn't treat her like she'll be traumatized for the rest of her life simply because stuff is changing in her world and we potty train in the middle of it. She has adjusted extremely well (and might I add quickly) when she's faced a change in her oh so short life. We are not raising a marshmellow."

Me: "Your observation is duly noted. And I agree- Phoebe is not a marshmellow... I suppose we can just see how well she does now and who knows, maybe she'll catch on really fast."

I: " Ha! I win!"

Me: "BUT we still take diapers on outtings!"

I: "Fine."

No comments: