Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can I Get A Witness?!

Kinda catchy title huh? Well... today I had just come in from digging in the garden and Phoebe had just woken up from her first nap of the day. I sat her down on the floor for a moment and of course the siren goes off from her precious little mouth. Then at that moment I heard a knock on the door. I'm thinking "Great! CPS has come to take my child away." Sarcastic of course. So I scoop up my princess and as she stops screaming I answer the door to find two women with an invitation. They are dressed pretty conservatively and here I am in denim shorts and a workout shirt (I was workin' outside after all). I almost feel embarrassed until they start talking. The "bigger" lady said we want to invite you to a Rememberance Service and at that point I get really excited because she used the word rememberance. I actually almost forgot Easter is this Sunday. In my excitement I said "Cool- we have a remmeberance service EVERY Sunday!" I tell her that it's according to New Testament Scripture and with that she swoops out her bible (mine was not in my own hands because my daughter demands two hands now) and shows me Romans and I was like yeah- that's it! I told her that it really changes your outlook on life when you remember what Christ did EVERY week. She kinda looked at me weird. Her friend just smiled sweetly. So they once again told me that I was invited and that it was free of charge- and she repeated free of charge in a slightly uncomfortable tone. So I said I'd ask my husband about it- with that they gave me the flyer and turned to go and I said the Lord bless you! and smiled and waved a little wave. They told me to have a good day. It was only when I actually read the flyer that I realized- they were Jehovah's Witnesses!!!! Silly Libby. It all made sense- the going out by two, knocking on doors, inviting me to something, I never thought they had rememberance services. Oh yeah and they invited me to a bible study (it was a very quick and hard to hear invitation). Maybe they knew that I wasn't going to their bible study. They seemed so nice, but *sigh*. Sometimes I'm envious of their desire to "go out" and invite people to things and even share the "message" with others. It's unfortunately a very convincingly false message.

Which brings to mind the other night Larry answered the door and there were two men who wanted to talk about spiritual things. I think Larry ended up witnessing to them, but he told me he sensed they weren't open. When he talked about the book of Romans (something they brought up) one of them actually said he hadn't really read through the whole thing- just studied bits here and there. I think Larry was kinda shocked because they're out HERE asking us questions about the "truth" and they don't know it themselves. I think if that young man had read the entirety of Romans he might renounce being a Jehovah's Witness.

We've had interesting visits to our house by Jehovah's Witnesses and we've only lived here since November! We really gotta pray for them- Satan uses a tiny bit of truth in his very convincing lies and unfortunately they've bought into it. :-( Even more unfortunate- so have some so called "Christians".

On a positive note- going back to what I was saying about their fervor to get out there. I'm not saying it's the only way to do things- there's a lot of other ways to tlak to people about Jesus- but the courage they have to talk to complete strangers and it doesn't seem to me that they are petrified if someone asks a question back. Going back to Larry's experience- one of them hadn't even read through the book of Romans (and Romans is NOT a big book)- even with that supposed hindrance- they are STILL out here! We should know the truth because without the truth it's easy to fall into a lie. God has so graciously allowed His word to be written and since it's there to read- read it. And since He hasn't given you the spirit of timidity- share His love and truth with a friend, a neighbor, a classmate, a co-worker, even a a famiy member. :-)

No comments: